Dani and I hope you have found this quick start care guide helpful and instructive as you begin caring for your redfoot tortoise.
And if you still have questions – oh so many questions – this is a good thing!
The truth is, no matter how many days or months or years you have been caring for your redfoot tortoise, you will always have more to learn.
Questions = caring. Questions = wanting to provide an even more enriching, naturalistic environment for your redfoot to enjoy and explore.
In which case, you are our hero. Thank you!
We are happy to do our best to answer any specific questions you may have about caring for your precious redfoot. You can reach us at shannon @ loveandfeathersandshells.com
We also hope you will enjoy this carefully curated selection of a few of our favorite redfoot tortoise resources:
- Turtle Survival Alliance (fantastic conservation organization)
- Tortoise Forum (keeper forum where you can ask questions and learn)
- Redfoot Breeder (has a great beginner care primer)
- Tortoise Yard (has some great examples of custom tortoise tables)
- The Bio Dude Redfoot Bioactive Kit (substrate+ for your habitat)
- Tortoise Table Plant Database (awesome list of safe/unsafe plants)
- Edible Plants and Weeds for Tortoises & Land Turtles
- Calcium & Phosphate Content of Selected Foods
- Calcium to Phosphate Ratios in Foods
- Vegetable Calcium to Phosphorus Ratios
- Fruit Calcium to Phosphorus Ratios
- Amanda Ebenhack: “Red-Footed Tortoises in Captivity (With Notes on Yellow-Footed Tortoises)“
- Mike Pingleton: “The Redfoot Manual: A Beginner’s Guide to the Redfoot Tortoise“
- Ben Team: “Red-Footed Tortoise Pet Owner’s Guide“
- Sabine Vinke, et al: “South American Tortoises“